We’ve polled in three of the four corners of the state (Natchez, Coast, Northeast), so I figure it’s time to move back to the center. Today, we’ll open the poll for what I think of as the Yazoo Bluffs region–Carrollton, Lexington, Yazoo City, and Madison County. Ok, Madison is not quite on the bluffs, but I couldn’t leave it in the Jackson poll without making that poll so long it would be exhausting.
Today’s list includes a workable total of 27 options (someone double-check me please!), of which you need to choose the 13 that you think should be considered for the final list of 101 Mississippi Places to See Before You Die. Below you will find the list linked to at least a picture and, if available, other resources to help you perform due diligence before you vote. Or, you can be a good American and just skip all that diligence stuff and vote without any prior knowledge.
As in previous polls, this list was gathered from readers comments in the open suggestion period, and if you missed the chance to suggest then, sorry, too late now.
Carrollton/Lexington/Yazoo City/Madison area
- Stanhope, Carrollton (1874)
- Capt. Ray House, Carrollton (c.1830, remodeled c.1875)
- Carroll County Courthouse, Carrollton (1878)
- Grace Episcopal Church, Carrollton (1883)
- Cotesworth, near Carrollton (c.1847) [National Register, HABS]
- Black Hawk School, south of Carrollton (c.1925)
- Vaiden High School (1941) [National Register]
- Acona Church and School, Holmes County (1874, 1903) [National Register]
- Temple Beth El, Lexington (1905)
- Holmes County Courthouse, Lexington (1894) [National Register]
- Old stagecoach inn, Depot Street, Lexington (c.1860)
- Asia Missionary Baptist Church, Lexington (1904-1908)
- Castalian Springs Hotel, outside Durant
- Y & MV (Illinois Central) Depot, Durant (c.1909)
- Durant School (1942)
- Ricks Library, Yazoo City (1900) [National Register]
- Yazoo County Courthouse (1872, remodeled 1931)
- Bank of Yazoo, Yazoo City (1904)
- Chapel of the Cross, Madison County (1850-1852) [National Register, HABS]
- Barton House (Mockbee), Madison County
- Grace Episcopal Church, Canton (1853)
- Madison County Courthouse, Canton (1854-1857)
- Canton High School, Canton (1923, 1937 addition) [National Register]
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Canton (1928)
- Mosby House, Canton (c.1852)
- Wohner House (“Wohlden”), Canton (c.1828, alterations c.1855)
- Madison-Ridgeland School (1922, 1936 gymnasium) [National Register]
This poll will close in two weeks, Friday, April 8, 2011 around midnight. Go to it!