Mr. E. K. Myrick, the popular garage man, whose place is on Main street, next to the corner of River Front, has purchased the River Front Stable building and the lot upon which it stands and the lot to the rear of it, both adjoining his garage property, one on the north and the other on the east.
The property is a very desirable corner, facing on Main street and extending full length along the River Front. The lot on the east runs from the main lot through to the alley running east and west just south of Mr. Myrick’s garage. The combined property gives Mr. Myrick a big corner of the entire block. (The Daily Commonwealth, Oct. 12, 1916)
Myrick owned other garages in Itta Bena, Indianola, Carrollton, and was constructing one in Winona at the time he purchased the additional lots and buildings on Main Street next to his garage. He anticipated erecting a new building within months due to the rapid growth of his business. By 1917, he added Rolling Fork and had six counties “having the exclusive agency for the sale of the noted Ford Cars.”
Myrick was identified as the first Ford dealer in Mississippi, and his “extensive automobile firm” painted all his buildings yellow in the towns where he had garages ((Daily Commonwealth, Sept. 13, 1916. His first office in Greenwood was in the former Dantzler’s Grocery on Summit Street. He sold tires at 315 Main Street in 1916.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History puts the date of construction this building at ca. 1920, and Lloyd Ostby (1980) described it:
terra cotta panels…decorative brick buttresses…parapet with concrete coping…large plate-glass windows (Nomination form, National Register of Historic Places)
A service clinic was held in Myrick’s building (presumed to be the one above) in 1925 “for the benefit of the dealers in the surrounding territory, their service men and shop men.” Service managers from Memphis and New Orleans provided the clinic and accessory companies from Illinois, Michigan, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Kansas were present. Thirty-eight dealerships from the area were in attendance.
Myrick made “automobile history” again in 1927 when “hundreds of people, not only from this city, but from points all over the Delta and the hills, viewed the new product and there also came dealers to inspect the new Model A from several cities” (Commonwealth, Dec. 2, 1927). Available as a coupe, sport coupe, ‘Fordor’ or ‘Tudor’ sedan, phaeton, roadster, and truck with cab and stake body for prices ranging from $455 to $670, the vehicles came in Niagara blue, Arabian sand, dawn gray and gun metal blue.
The Hohenberg Bros. Cotton Co. was located in the building in 1980 when the nomination form was completed. At that time, the far right section of the building had all windows filled with paneling. Fortunately, that was corrected around 2000. Currently known as the Durden Building, the former dealership was renamed by Viking in honor of Liston P. Durden who helped develop Viking appliances.