Amazing. That is the word that best captures the spirit of this year’s Listen Up! Historic Preservation Conference and Heritage Awards Luncheon. I could not help but be delighted, engaged and inspired by all the wonderful stories our conference participants and award recipients shared over Bo-Saam and Yalobusha beer in Tupelo over the past few days.
Some of the highlights:
- Bill Gatlins’ nametag
- Everything about Doyce Deas
- Bruce Smith’s “Happy Dance”
- Representative Steve Holland’s refusal to stick to twenty slides (or forty or sixty)
- Erica Speed’s decadent treats
- Greg Pirkle’s preservation spirit
And, the heartfelt and heartwarming thank yous from everyone in attendance for having the opportunity to come together and celebrate Mississippi’s irreplaceable architectural heritage. What an incredible journey of learning and inspiration.