Gloucester, Natchez – (1803, 1807, c. 1830) (National Register) Also occasionally referred to as the Samuel Young House or the Winthrop Sargent House in reference to the first two owners. Gloucester was constructed in 1803 as a hipped-roof, two story structure for Samuel Young. In 1807, new owner Winthrop Sargent, the first Governor of the Mississippi Territory from 1798-1801, hired an unknown brickmason to enlarge “Gloster Place.” That brickmason added the two fanlight entrances with the unusual flanking, detached sidelights, as well as the half-octagonal side elevations. The Tuscan portico with a bull’s-eye window in the pediment was added circa 1830. While overshadowed by many later Natchez mansions, Gloucester is the oldest of Natchez’s grand mansions, predating Levi Weeks’s arrival by several years, and is an excellent example of Federal architecture in Mississippi.