Wherein we take a look at what was going on in the great big world of architecture in the 1820s.
Rosalie (1823), Natchez, Mississippi
This National Historic Landmark Federal-style house overlooks the Mississippi River on the bluff in Natchez.
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church (1824), Woodville, Mississippi
“A wooden building, mostly Federal style, but with a later Carpenter Gothic entrance vestibule.”
St. Paul Rectory (c.1820), Woodville, Mississippi
Woodville Baptist Church (1820s). Woodville
Masonic Lodge #3 (1824), Perdue Hill, Alabama
Shreve House (c.1825), 701 Church Street, Port Gibson, Mississippi
A. Butner House (1829) and Hat Shop (1825), Old Salem, North Carolina
Randolph Hall (1828, 1850), College of Charleston, South Carolina
The central portion of the present main structure was designed by William Strickland of Philadelphia, a student of Benjamin Latrobe. In 1850, Edward Brickell White, Charleston’s leading Greek Revival architect, designed wings and a third portico for the main building.
Grytten Church (1829), Veblungsnes, Norway
“The stave churches or long churches had no rivals until the 18th century. With a growth in population, and a need for updated and bigger churces, builders experimented with new shapes such as cruciform and 8-corner forms. The first churches having 8 corners were palace chapels and reformed churches in Denmark and Germany. The new mode was a well-lit church room with the pulpit being central. The sermon was now the main event, which is evident in the church of Grytten. The church-room more or less became an auditory. It was of importance that the congregation was able to see and hear the preacher. The Grytten church with its special shape and elevated pulpit, evidently reflect the new “modes of time” and the new “ideal way” of presenting sermons.” (pamphlet available at the church).
Categories: Architectural Research, Cool Old Places, Historic Preservation, Natchez, Port Gibson, Vernacular Architecture, Woodville
Leave a Reply