To celebrate President’s Day, we feature the eye-catching Washington County Courthouse, a rare-for-Mississippi stone Romanesque Revival building, built in 1891. According to the MDAH Historic Resources Database, it was designated as a Mississippi Landmark in January 1989 and listed on the National Register in September 2014. A Confederate monument stands on the front lawn, and the large square on which the courthouse sits is an arboretum with a variety of interesting trees. Here’s the introduction to the National Register nomination:
The Washington County Courthouse in Greenville, Washington County, Mississippi, is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places for local significance under Criterion A for its association with Government and for local significance under Criterion A for its association with Social History related to a nationally recognized speech by Sen. LeRoy Percy objecting to the establishment of the Ku Klux Klan in Washington County. The Courthouse also is significant on a statewide basis under Criterion C associated with Architecture as a rare extant example of a stone Richardsonian Romanesque courthouse in the state of Mississippi. It was built in 1891, enlarged and renovated in 1930, and enlarged in 1950, 1965 and 1976. The twentieth century additions, though sizeable, obscure only the north facade of the original courthouse structure. The three remaining facades retain a high level of integrity and remain viewable from the public right-of-ways. The Confederate Monument and the Arboretum are additional resources on-site that contribute to the significance of the courthouse.