MissPres News Roundup 7-18-2016
Time for a mid-summer checkup, in photographs, on what’s going on in the preservation world of Mississippi.
The boarded-up Markham Hotel in Gulfport, opened in 1927, has been bought by Virginia attorney Robert Lubin, according to the Sun-Herald. “Developers are considering whether to use the building for office space, apartments or a hotel.” Lubin is also the new owner of the Eola Hotel in Natchez.
During the severe electrical storms that rolled through the Jackson region last Thursday evening, lightning struck the prominent clock tower of the Nelson Administration Building at Mississippi College, according to WAPT. The Colonial Revival landmark was built in 1948 and designed by the Jackson firm of Spain & Biggers.
According to the Oxford Eagle, the National Historic Landmark antebellum house Ammadelle, designed by New York architect Calvert Vaux and built by Oxford master builder William Turner, has been sold to local couple Mac and Elizabeth Monteith, who will occupy it as their primary residence. The home and its 7 acres are protected by a preservation easement that will guide future restoration and maintenance efforts. See Mt. Holly for a mirror image of this design.
The Forrest County School District has begun repairs to the Brooklyn Consolidated School (1925, Robert E. Lee, archt.), according to the Hattiesburg American. A $200,000 Community Heritage Preservation Grant from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History will go toward the project, which will cost more than $600,000.
Categories: Clinton, Cool Old Places, Gulf Coast, Gulfport, Hotels, Oxford, Schools