The National Park Service oversees the National Register of Historic Places, the most popular tool nationally for recognizing historic properties. According to the NPS:
The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation’s historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America’s historic and archeological resources.
Nine of Mississippi’s historic places were listed on the National Register in 2013. Some of these listings have been covered in various News Roundups throughout the year, but I always like to have a nice neat list at the end of the year to give a better overview of what’s going on around the state.
As in the past, we’re breaking our National Register of Historic Places listings for 2013 into two separate posts to avoid piling on and to allow you time to read through the summaries and ponder.
Also as in previous years, Bill Gatlin, architectural historian and National Register coordinator at MDAH, has provided the following summaries, and all photos are courtesy MDAH.
For previous years’ National Register summaries:
- 2009 Part 1
- 2009 Part 2
- 2010, Part 1
- 2010, Part 2
- 2011, Part 1
- 2011, Part 2
- 2012, Part 1
- 2012, Part 2
Calvary Baptist Church, Jackson, Hinds County
Calvary Baptist Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for local
significance under Criterion C for Architecture as a well-designed and well-preserved example
of an Early 20th Century Neo-Classical style church. Built in 1929 with additions in 1948, 1958
and 1976, the Calvary Baptist Church campus is a notable example of this style and period of
architecture in Jackson, Mississippi. R. H. Hunt, a significant regional architect, designed the
original 1929 building. Capitol Street in Jackson, Calvary Baptist Church is an outstanding example of Neo-Classical Revival architecture on West Capitol Street in West Jackson, where the city expanded as population grew in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The period of significance, 1927, 1948 and1958, is when the current church campus was constructed and expanded to accommodate the needs of a growing community. The period also represents a time when the Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture thrived, especially in buildings of civic and religious institutions and in the Southern Baptist Convention. Darren Pellegrin, an analyst with Woodward Design + Build in New Orleans, wrote the nomination. Calvary Baptist Church was listed on the National Register on May 14, 2013.
The nomination can be viewed at: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/13308.pdf
Hernando Water Tower, Hernando, DeSoto County
The Hernando Water Tower is locally significant under Criteria A for association with
Community Planning and Development and Criteria C for association with Engineering as the
first and only historic water tank in the city. Hernando Water Tower is an example of an all-steel elevated tank in the hemispherical design. It retains its suspended hemispherical bottom, lattice-girder tower, balcony stiffener and conical roof, making it as an important example of the hemispherical form of water tower. The Hernando Water Tower was built in 1925 by the Pittsburg-Des Moines Steel Company. Nancy Bell, Executive Director of the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation, wrote the nomination. The Hernando Water Tower was listed on September 18, 2013.
The nomination can be viewed at: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/6152.pdf
Tanglewood, Clinton, Hinds County
Tanglewood is a one-story wood frame vernacular Greek Revival planter’s cottage, facing north,
on a city lot in Clinton, Mississippi. The house is composed of a symmetrical main block, two
rooms deep off of the wide hall, with a galleried rear ell. The front porch is supported with six
equally spaced rectangular wood boxed columns with plain molded capitals and bases. There are
five bays: a centered pair of 12-light wood doors set within a plain surround containing sidelights
with four lights and one panel and a rectangular transom with seven lights, flanked on either side
by two equally spaced floor-length nine-over-nine double-hung wood windows with plain
surrounds. The house retains its interior features such as moldings, doors, windows, and
mantelpieces. Originally constructed c. 1845, Tanglewood was moved from its original location
c. 1878. A 1926 renovation introduced Craftsman elements, most prominently the broken pitch
roof, triangular knees braces and exposed rafters. Nancy Bell, Executive Director of the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation, wrote the nomination. Tanglewood was listed on September 18, 2013.
The nomination can be viewed at: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/11380.pdf
Wildwood Plantation Commissary and Shop, Shellmound vicinity, Leflore County
The Wildwood Plantation Commissary and Shop is listed on the National Register of Historic Places for local significance under Criterion A for association with Agriculture. The buildings represent once-common, but increasingly rare building types that served the cotton plantation economy throughout Leflore County and the Mississippi Delta. The Wildwood Plantation Commissary and Shop is listed for local significance under Criterion C for association with Architecture as a mid-century commissary building. Dale Riser, Beard +Riser Architects, PLLC, wrote the nomination. The Wildwood Plantation Commissary was listed on September 18, 2013.
The nomination can be viewed at: https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/nom/prop/2145886971.pdf