The second of a two-part retrospective on the National Register of Historic Places listings for Mississippi this year. As with the first part from yesterday, all of the below including photos has been provided by our kind-hearted preservationist friends at the Mississippi Dept. of Archives and History.
And in case I don’t see you until the new year, stay safe and out of trouble tonight, and if you’re on my street, remember that firecrackers are illegal within the city limits of Jackson, so at least try not to shoot them off after, say 12:15, ok?
Itta Bena Historic District, Itta Bena, Leflore County
With 146 contributing resources, the Itta Bena Historic District is significant in the areas of Community Planning and Development, Architecture and Social History. From its beginnings as a railroad stop through the Civil Rights movement, the built environment in Itta Bena marks this small Delta city’s growth and development. From elegant churches and impressive bank buildings to vernacular commercial buildings and houses, the collection of buildings and structures illustrates the patterns of commercial and residential growth that is unique to Itta Bena. MDAH architectural historians Susan Tietz and Bill Gatlin wrote the nomination. The district was listed on September 30, 2009.
Wiener House at 228 Ridge Drive, Jackson, Hinds County
The Wiener House at 228 Ridge Drive is a rare International style house located in Jackson’s Woodland Hills neighborhood. Designed by Shreveport architects Samuel and William Wiener for their cousin, Dr. William Weiner, the house is a mature interpretation of the International Style executed by two of the South’s early modern architects. The house, built in 1951 with an addition credited solely to William Wiener in 1957, has smooth planar exterior walls, an inclined flat roof and large banks of windows that serve to merge interior and exterior spaces that reflect the principles the Wieners studied on extensive visits to Europe in the 1920s. Dr. Stephanie Busbea, the homeowner, wrote the nomination. The house was listed on November 2, 2009.
Alexander Teen Center, Brookhaven, Lincoln County
The Alexander Teen Center, named for Mr. A. A. Alexander, the long-time principal of the Brookhaven Colored School (later Alexander High School), was built in 1947. After the completion of a new high school for African-American students, Alexander formed the school’s first PTA which helped finance construction of a gymnasium on a lot across the street from the school. The Alexander Teen Center was the only indoor full-court basketball facility available to blacks in the Seventh Educational District. The gymnasium was used for physical education classes, interscholastic athletics and for social events until a new gymnasium was built at the school in the 1960s. The nomination was written by Mr. Steven D. Keys, Sr., President of Community Action Fostering Educational Activities, which owns the building. The Alexander Teen Center was listed on November 3, 2009.
Glenwood-Vicklan Historic District, Vicksburg, Warren County
The Glenwood-Vicklan Historic District includes 158 resources (including 32 garages), primarily single family homes that were built in the neighborhood southwest of downtown Vicksburg between 1911 and the 1950s. The district illustrates the continuing growth of the Vicksburg community as a residential area developed for upper middle class whites who relied on automobiles for transportation. Nancy Bell, Executive Director of the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation, wrote the nomination. The district was listed on November 3, 2009.
Doctor McNair House, Quitman, Clarke County
This one and one-half story Queen Anne house was built for Doctor McNair c. 1890. It is significant as a local example of the Rectilinear mode of Queen Anne style of architecture. Although the nomination was written in 1994 by consultant Susan Enzweiler, the house was never listed due to an owner objection. The house has since been acquired by Historic Clarke County which rescinded the objection. The house was listed on November 4, 2009.
Vaiden High School, Vaiden, Carroll County
Vaiden High School, built in 1943 with WPA funds, is significant in the areas of Education and Architecture. The main school building, along with the Vocational Building, constructed in 1951, served the community as a school from its opening in 1943 until 1999. Designed by Jackson architect, E.L. Malvaney, the administration building combined aesthetics and functionality. The Art Moderne style is reflected in its smooth exterior wall finishes, aluminum-framed ribbon windows and delicate curved surfaces. The nomination was written by Mary Howard, Planner with the North Central Planning and Development District, and architect Belinda Stewart. The school was listed on November 5, 2009.
Indianola Historic District, Indianola, Sunflower County
The Indianola Historic District, with 335 resources, visually illustrates the growth and development of the Sunflower County seat. Resources range from simple shotgun houses south of the railroad to the Percy Street houses of the affluent business owners. The district recognizes the racial diversity of the community by the inclusion of resources such as Club Ebony and Mt. Beulah Missionary Baptist Church. Indianola’s growth as an economic center is reflected in the businesses along Front Street. Nancy Bell, Director of the Vicksburg Foundation for Historic Preservation, wrote the nomination. The district was listed on November 30, 2009.
West Point Unified Historic District, West Point, Clay County
The West Point Unified Historic District combines three previously listed historic districts along with new areas to better reflect the growth and development and architectural heritage of West Point. With 401 resources, the unified district contains the most cohesive group of historically and architecturally significant government, institutional, commercial and residential buildings in the city. From the antebellum Moses Jordan House to the late 1950s Clay County Courthouse, the resources in the district illustrate the development of West Point from minor railroad stop to a modern city. Letitia Wright, preservation consultant, and MDAH architectural historians Susan Tietz and Bill Gatlin wrote the nomination. The district was listed December 1, 2009.
Categories: Architectural Research, Brookhaven, Cool Old Places, Historic Preservation, Indianola, Itta Bena, Jackson, National Register, Quitman, Schools, Vaiden, Vicksburg, West Point
Leave a Reply