Demolition/Abandonment

MissPres News Roundup 6-13-2017

Lets jump right into this week’s roundup. Starting in Starkville, fourteen structures including three historic houses were demolished this week for an “a planned upscale, mixed-use development that will include retail shops and loft apartments” The article gives the developers… Read More ›

MissPres News Roundup 4-18-2017

From Mary Holmes College to Gulfport Library, from fences at Greenwood Cemetery to the roof of the old Greenville Depot, from Natchez to Jackson to Tupelo and points in between, here’s all the Mississippi preservation news that’s fit to print (virtually, on the internets).

MissPres at 8: Repairing the Old Capitol, 1916-1917

The movement for a “restoration” of the old state house was begun in 1903. The proposal was that the building be restored to its original condition and used as an historic landmark, possibly by the Department of Archives and History. The reports of architects who examined the building were adverse, and it was accepted as true that the building was dangerous, and likely to collapse at any time.