Old Salem High School and Vocational Building were both constructed by the National Youth Administration for African American students, in the Ashland vicinity, Benton County. Construction was complete by 1941. Photographs taken in 1956 by J. H. Phay can be… Read More ›
The 1939 Carthage post office has the distinction of being not only one of 32 Mississippi post offices constructed with New Deal funds, but one with several unique details that enable the building and its art work to stand out… Read More ›
E. L. Malvaney’s Vaiden High School has been profiled previously on Preservation in Mississippi for its placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009. Mary Howard and architect Belinda Stewart (2008) wrote the nomination for the …two and… Read More ›
The headquarters for the Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs, constructed in 1936 by the Works Progress Administration, was designed by architect R. W. Naef in the Georgian-Revival style (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory). According to the… Read More ›
The original portion of Canton High School was constructed in 1923, designed by architect N. W. Overstreet (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory). The Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works funded an addition to the building which… Read More ›
Construction began on Jackson’s municipal airport terminal building in 1936, financed by the Works Progress Administration. Currently undergoing extensive renovation in a project supported by the United States Department of Interior, National Park Service, Mississippi Department of Archives and History,… Read More ›
Edgar Lucian Malvaney is identified as the architect for the enlargement of the Coffeeville school administration building in 1938 (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory). As part of the school complex, it looks like it was used… Read More ›
It’s been a bit since we toured any of the New Deal buildings in Mississippi, so I thought it was high time for a road trip to Vardaman–the one and only sweet potato capital of the world. Unfortunately, up here… Read More ›
Ladies and Gentlemen, skipping the fanfare here are your Top 11 MissPres Posts written in 2014. See if your favorite story made the list…
The Columbus post office (1937-1939) in Lowndes County is another of the federal buildings funded and constructed by the New Deal Administration. In the case of Columbus, the result was a Stripped Classic building, which was described as …largest and… Read More ›
Macon’s Emergency Relief Administration-financed community house was constructed in the Craftsman bungalow style, and is currently used as the American Legion Hut, Post 63 for Noxubee County (Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory; Barrow, 2001, NRHP nomination… Read More ›
Last week we toured the WPA-built Lynville school building, with some good news about efforts to restore the building for community use. The home economics building was constructed that same year, in 1941. Mississippi, like many other states, often utilized… Read More ›
New at the time construction materials and techniques were used. Exterior walls are of strand steel and poured concrete. It has a slate roof. (“Get together held at Lynville school.” 10/23/2013. Kemper County Messenger) The WPA financed school building was… Read More ›
Macon’s City Hall, looking remarkably like several of the red brick Colonial Revival post offices built in Mississippi during the New Deal years, was constructed 1938-1939 through Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, project #Miss 1366-F. Architects P. J. Krouse and L. L. Brasfield of Meridian designed the building.
The community of Zama, in Attala County, was named for the daughter of one of the town’s founders. The first school building was constructed in 1907, and in 1949, Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed a new classroom building.
Before: The 1942 Works Progress Administration Clinton Elementary School; After: The 2014 Residence Hall
This beautiful Colonial Revival building was designed by architect J. M. Spain and constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1942. It will be replaced by a MIssissippi College residence hall.
Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008, and a Mississippi Landmark in 2010, the Main Street Railway Bridge hails from 1938, and a combined effort of the Mississippi State Highway Department and funding from the Works Progress Administration. … Read More ›
Thoughtful citizens must realize that when a nation ceases to build, it begins to cease to live. It is a curious fact, subject to verification in the history of civilized societies the world around, that architecture and all the other arts of peace are a responsibility that the whole community necessarily must bear. Not adventurously, then, but with deep and deliberate purpose does the United State even in time of trouble engage its resources of wealth and men in construction endeavors of the kind represented by your new Memorial.
As we have chronicled before, the National Youth Administration, one of the New Deal Administration programs from the 1930s, constructed some 66 documented and/or conjectured administration, classroom, gymnasium, home economics, shop/band hall and vocational buildings, along with several superintendent and… Read More ›
While the Winona Post Office was constructed with funds authorized as part of President Hoover’s stepped up public works program, it was funded under the Public Buildings Act of 1926. President Roosevelt would urge Congressional supplementation of the PBA 1926… Read More ›
What a wonderful way to end my week–with another successful location of a New Deal building, this time, another project of the National Youth Administration! Because many of these schools were built in rural areas (and parts or all of… Read More ›