The Mississippi Department of Archives and History has awarded grants totaling more than $78,000 to nine preservation projects in Certified Local Government (CLG) communities across the state.
Coming out of the foothills of the Tennessee River in the northeastern corner of the State, U.S. Highway 45 traverses the rich Black Prairie Belt and the historic and beautiful towns of Aberdeen and Columbus, both of which sponsor annual pilgrimages for the benefit of downsouth travelers.
On October 4, the City of Corinth and Alcorn County will hold a centennial celebration for the historic Alcorn County Courthouse, a landmark designed by the dean of all Mississippi architects, Noah Webster Overstreet. That makes this an opportune time… Read More ›
From our friends at the Mississippi Heritage Trust comes an announcement of upcoming workshops from one end of the state to the other: Bay St. Louis, Clarksdale, Cleveland, Columbus, Corinth, Greenville, Greenwood, Gulfport, Oxford, Pascagoula, aaaaand–whew!–Tupelo.
Lets jump right into this week’s roundup. Starting in Starkville, fourteen structures including three historic houses were demolished this week for an “a planned upscale, mixed-use development that will include retail shops and loft apartments” The article gives the developers… Read More ›
From Corinth to Gulfport, and points in between, here’s some of the Mississippi preservation news that’s fit to print (virtually, on the internets).
These pumps were once quite common in Mississippi. Does anyone know where such a curbside pump might exist?
Although the 1951 Manufacturer’s Record doesn’t have any text discussing the Corinth Machinery Company, the magazine does have this great aerial view of the 3-story 1869 building front and center, along with the subsidiary structures in this industrial complex that stood… Read More ›
Today’s Mississippi street-scene comes from the Corinth, Miss. Collection at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History: The twenty black-and-white photographs in this collection were produced ca. 1920 by McCord’s Studio in Corinth. The images are of commercial buildings, houses,… Read More ›
From Ingomar Mound to Prospect Hill Plantation, from parapets falling to gravestones standing up and “Wade” handwritten on a sill, the MissPres news roundup has got it covered.
Time for another MissPres Architectural Word of the Week! If you want to check out any previous word you can do that here. As always our example photographs come from the MDAH Historic Resources Database. This week’s word is typical… Read More ›
The October 1964 edition of the Mississippi Architect features an industrial building in Corinth, designed by John L. Turner.
MissPres is on vacation this week, but we’re sending postcards back from Mississippi’s past.