In another of the series of 32 post offices built in Mississippi with help from the New Deal Administration funding, Louisville stands out. This Colonial Revival building was constructed in 1935 by Dye and Mullings from Columbia-Hattiesburg, under the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury (Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory database). This is not what makes the building stand out, though.
This is: the addition to the east side of the building, added 1989-90. Architects Mockbee-Coker-Howorth designed the construction that enlarged the facility, creating the ability to maintain an important historic structure, while meeting the needs for greater workspace, and accessibility. The east wing is accessible, both with off-street parking and access ramp and automatic door, and street-level elevation. The interior blends with the original construction, which still houses the front mail window and the original entry vestibule. Hats off and a big salute to the folks in Louisville who opted for a preservation plan instead of destruction of a beautiful and historically significant building, or even if saving it, turning it over for other non-postal use. Now, the post office still belongs to the community, e.g., “the people” and fulfills an important function in communities.
Inside, the mural Crossroads, painted by Karl Wolfe of Jackson, was installed in 1938. Wolfe was one of only three Mississippi artists to be selected for the 28 commissioned pieces placed in Mississippi under the Treasury’s program for bringing art to the people (Patti Carr Black, 1998, Art in Mississippi, 1720-1980). Payment was $310, installed. The postal worker advised, “A lot of people are interested in that mural and come in to take a picture.”