The Columbus post office (1937-1939) in Lowndes County is another of the federal buildings funded and constructed by the New Deal Administration. In the case of Columbus, the result was a Stripped Classic building, which was described as …largest and… Read More ›
Macon’s Emergency Relief Administration-financed community house was constructed in the Craftsman bungalow style, and is currently used as the American Legion Hut, Post 63 for Noxubee County (Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory; Barrow, 2001, NRHP nomination… Read More ›
Last week we toured the WPA-built Lynville school building, with some good news about efforts to restore the building for community use. The home economics building was constructed that same year, in 1941. Mississippi, like many other states, often utilized… Read More ›
New at the time construction materials and techniques were used. Exterior walls are of strand steel and poured concrete. It has a slate roof. (“Get together held at Lynville school.” 10/23/2013. Kemper County Messenger) The WPA financed school building was… Read More ›
Macon’s City Hall, looking remarkably like several of the red brick Colonial Revival post offices built in Mississippi during the New Deal years, was constructed 1938-1939 through Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works, project #Miss 1366-F. Architects P. J. Krouse and L. L. Brasfield of Meridian designed the building.
The community of Zama, in Attala County, was named for the daughter of one of the town’s founders. The first school building was constructed in 1907, and in 1949, Edgar Lucian Malvaney designed a new classroom building.
Before: The 1942 Works Progress Administration Clinton Elementary School; After: The 2014 Residence Hall
This beautiful Colonial Revival building was designed by architect J. M. Spain and constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1942. It will be replaced by a MIssissippi College residence hall.
Named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008, and a Mississippi Landmark in 2010, the Main Street Railway Bridge hails from 1938, and a combined effort of the Mississippi State Highway Department and funding from the Works Progress Administration. … Read More ›
Thoughtful citizens must realize that when a nation ceases to build, it begins to cease to live. It is a curious fact, subject to verification in the history of civilized societies the world around, that architecture and all the other arts of peace are a responsibility that the whole community necessarily must bear. Not adventurously, then, but with deep and deliberate purpose does the United State even in time of trouble engage its resources of wealth and men in construction endeavors of the kind represented by your new Memorial.
As we have chronicled before, the National Youth Administration, one of the New Deal Administration programs from the 1930s, constructed some 66 documented and/or conjectured administration, classroom, gymnasium, home economics, shop/band hall and vocational buildings, along with several superintendent and… Read More ›
While the Winona Post Office was constructed with funds authorized as part of President Hoover’s stepped up public works program, it was funded under the Public Buildings Act of 1926. President Roosevelt would urge Congressional supplementation of the PBA 1926… Read More ›
What a wonderful way to end my week–with another successful location of a New Deal building, this time, another project of the National Youth Administration! Because many of these schools were built in rural areas (and parts or all of… Read More ›
The Randolph school’s vocational building was constructed by the National Youth Administration in 1939 during expansion of the school complex (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory database). A teacher’s house was also constructed, and is located behind… Read More ›
The Ecru building, clad in “native stone,” retains its exterior features, including pent awnings over the doors and 9/9 double hung sash windows. (Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Historic Resources Inventory) While I have seen these before, I don’t… Read More ›
The Eupora High School was begun in 1938 and completed in 1940, and built through the Works Progress Administration (Mississippi Department of Archives and History/Historic Resources Inventory database; What are we up to? Belinda Stewart Architects; E. L. Malvaney in… Read More ›
Eupora Community House was built circa 1938, and is conjectured to have been built with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor (Mississippi Department of Archives & History, Historic Resources Inventory database; David Preziosi, n. d.). The first known access to a… Read More ›
The Eupora Post Office was completed in 1941, the 8th Mississippi post office to be designed by Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect of the Office of Supervising Architect of the Treasury (Mississippi Department of Archives and History/Historic Resources Inventory database). … Read More ›
Most of the town and county libraries in Mississippi began as Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) or Works Progress Administration (WPA) libraries (Martha H. Swain, Mississippi History Now). The Library Project was considered a “showcase” project for the nation. The… Read More ›
Remember the “101 places in Mississippi to see before you die” list? It’s been a while since we have stopped by to see one on Suzassippi’s Mississippi, what with hunting down all the New Deal Administration buildings in the state. … Read More ›
In another of the series of 32 post offices built in Mississippi with help from the New Deal Administration funding, Louisville stands out. This Colonial Revival building was constructed in 1935 by Dye and Mullings from Columbia-Hattiesburg, under the Office… Read More ›
The last–literally, the last house still standing–of the New Deal Administration-funded projects we will visit on the campus of the University of Mississippi is faculty housing. Using primarily Works Progress Administration funds (Gerald Walton, The University of Mississippi: A Pictorial History, 2008), 22… Read More ›
Built as the new Student Union Building in 1939, Weir Memorial Hall was designed by R. W. Naef in Greek Revival style (Mississippi Department of Archives & History/Historic Resources Inventory database). Walter L. Perry Construction Company of Philadelphia, Mississippi… Read More ›
Today’s guest post is brought to us by Kyle Wrather, a native of Columbus, Miss. Kyle holds degrees in English and Communication from Mississippi State University and is currently pursuing a master’s degree in mass communication from Georgia State University in… Read More ›
Somerville Hall and Barnard Hall are the final two dormitories built with New Deal Administration funds on the campus of the University of Mississippi. They were not the final buildings–we still have a few more to go, including one that… Read More ›