The First Presbyterian Church of Water Valley was established in 1843. The Romanesque building was erected in 1896. Romanesque Revival was a popular style in the late 1800s in Mississippi, particularly for Presbyterian and Methodist churches (Pace/Cawthon, Lost Churches of Mississippi, 2007). Romanesque Revival churches during the 1880s and 1890s were characterized by:
…massive walls, square towers, and broad, low arches…(Cawthon, 2010)
The round arch–formed by a continuous curve in the shape of a semi-circle–was also characteristic of the style. The Water Valley church also features decorative terra cotta on the side entry and metal siding in the shape of shingles on the gables. It appears to be strips of pressed metal, rather than actual shingles.