Texada, Natchez – (1798-1801) (National Register). Texada is the earliest brick building in Natchez and one of only a handful of Eighteenth Century structures remaining in Mississippi. According to the National Register nomination and New Orleans architectural historian Samuel Wilson’s work (he conducted the eight year restoration), Texada was constructed between 1793 and 1805; due to the sparse and conflicting records of the Spanish Colonial period, it is impossible to be more precise in identifying Texada’s construction date. Texada served as Mississippi’s state capitol from 1817-20 when Natchez was the capital, before the state capital moved to Columbia, then Jackson. Texada is the earliest surviving state capitol since 1993, when Assembly Hall in Washington (also known as the Charles de France Tavern) territorial capitol during the 1800s and 1810s, burned. The interior and exterior of Texada has been modified throughout its two centuries of existence, but the house still retains such interior features as original paint (mostly on the third floor), beadboard ceilings, and molded chair railings.