Commercial Bank, Natchez – (1838) (National Historic Landmark). The Commercial Bank and adjoining Banker’s House were constructed in 1838 by Natchez master builder Andrew Brown. Brown did not design the Commercial Bank, since banker Thomas Henderson already possessed the bank’s design drawings and plans when he advertised for builders. The Commercial Bank, according to Mills Lane, “is the only antebellum building in Mississippi with a façade of finished stone.” Although not the largest structure in Natchez, the Commercial Bank is a Main St. landmark. While other structures in Mississippi are strong examples of Greek Revival, the use of grey marble, along with the interplay between the Ionic portico and unadorned façade, imparts a clarity and austerity of design rarely found in antebellum commercial architecture.